If you’ve been a longtime reader of my blog or you’ve basically just read my blog before, you’ll know that some of my posts can get rather… ‘passionate’, in the form of topic choices and the words chosen. I don’t doubt that some of you think I either get too emotional, or am just real sensitive.
And normally, I don’t pay to mind what others say.
BUT, now I have an excuse to my behaviour. xD
I am an Empath.
What is an Empath, you ask?
What is an empath?
Being an empath is when you are affected by other people’s energies, and have an innate ability to intuitively feel and perceive others. Your life is unconsciously influenced by others’ desires, wishes, thoughts, and moods. Being an empath is much more than being highly sensitive and it’s not just limited to emotions. Empaths can perceive physical sensitivities and spiritual urges, as well as just knowing the motivations and intentions of other people. You either are an empath or you aren’t. It’s not a trait that is learned.
That helps explain a lot about why I get so affected by other people’s emotions to the point where if I’m with them for too long, I’ll start reflecting their energy and emotions as well. As a checklist, I found these 30 traits of an empath. Allow me to comment on each (in italic):
1. Knowing: Empaths just know stuff, without being told. It’s a knowing that goes way beyond intuition or gut feelings, even though that is how many would describe the knowing. The more attuned they are the stronger this gift becomes.
(Yeah I get that quite a bit.)
2. Being in public places can be overwhelming: Places like shopping malls, supermarkets or stadiums where there are lots of people around can fill the empath with turbulently vexed emotions that are coming from others.
(Not particularly overwhelming, I’d say; just that I can get a liiiittle bit claustrophobic if there are too many people in a small space.)
3. Feeling others emotions and taking them on as your own: This is a huge one for empaths. To some they will feel emotions off those near by and with others they will feel emotions from those a vast distance away, or both. The more adept empath will know if someone is having bad thoughts about them, even from great distance.
(There you have it.)
4. Watching violence, cruelty or tragedy on the TV is unbearable: The more attuned an empath becomes the worse it is and may make it so they eventually have to stop watching TV and reading newspapers altogether.
(I remember watching a bullfight on TV when I was younger, and my mum had said she observed my face and I looked as if I might cry. I wasn’t even aware that my facial expression had changed.)
5. You know when someone is not being honest: If a friend or a loved one is telling you lies you know it (although many empaths try not to focus on this because knowing a loved one is lying can be painful). Or if someone is saying one thing but feeling/thinking another, you know.
(OHOHO. I wondered why I’ve always had this strong feeling, too. I can just somehow tell when a person is lying or not being honest, just by their facial expression and the kind of aura they give off.)
6. Picking up physical symptoms off another: An empath will almost always develop the ailments off another (colds, eye infections, body aches and pains) especially those they’re closest to, somewhat like sympathy pains.
(Maybe because we hang out with someone who has those ailments, that’s why we caught it? I mean it’s the same with everyone else right? O.o )
7. Digestive disorders and lower back problems: The solar plexus chakra is based in the centre of the abdomen and it’s known as the seat of emotions. This is where empaths feel the incoming emotion of another, which can weaken the area and eventually lead to anything from stomach ulcers to IBS (too many other conditions to list here). Lower back problems can develop from being ungrounded (amongst other things) and one, who has no knowledge of them being an empath, will almost always be ungrounded.
(I dunno about digestive disorders, but I definitely have some form of lower back problem…)
8. Always looking out for the underdog: Anyone whose suffering, in emotional pain or being bullied draws an empath’s attention and compassion.
(FINALLY another answer to why I feel so passionate and strongly for the underdogs.)
9. Others will want to offload their problems on you, even strangers: An empath can become a dumping ground for everyone else’s issues and problems, which, if they’re not careful can end up as their own.
(I actually don’t mind this; I’m actually glad that if by them confiding in me, it would take a load off of their shoulders. Only thing is, like they say, it could end up part of my problem as well. >< )
10. Constant fatigue: Empaths often get drained of energy, either from energy vampires or just taking on too much from others, which even sleep will not cure. Many get diagnosed with ME.
(SEE, it’s not my fault that I’m tired all the time! =p )
11. Addictive personality: Alcohol, drugs, sex, are to name but a few addictions that empaths turn to, to block out the emotions of others. It is a form of self protection in order to hide from someone or something.
(Does getting addicted to buying books count?)
12. Drawn to healing, holistic therapies and all things metaphysical: Although many empaths would love to heal others they can end up turning away from being healers (even though they have a natural ability for it), after they’ve studied and qualified, because they take on too much from the one they are trying to heal. Especially if they are unaware of their empathy. Anything of a supernatural nature is of interest to empaths and they don’t surprise or get shocked easily. Even at the revelation of what many others would consider unthinkable, for example, empaths would have known the world was round when others believed it was flat.
(Again, I’ve always wondered why I had been so drawn to healing crystals and spiritual healing stuff. )
13. Creative: From singing, dancing, acting, drawing or writing an empath will have a strong creative streak and a vivid imagination.
(I dance and write. But that’s as far as this girl’s ‘creativity’ gets. )
14. Love of nature and animals: Being outdoors in nature is a must for empaths and pets are an essential part of their life.
(So me liking nature in times of stress has a reason too. ;) )
15. Need for solitude: An empath will go stir-crazy if they don’t get quiet time. This is even obvious in empathic children.
(Yes. Beware, we go batshit cray cray.)
16. Gets bored or distracted easily if not stimulated: Work, school and home life has to be kept interesting for an empath or they switch off from it and end up daydreaming or doodling.
(My school teachers, are you reading this?)
17. Finds it impossible to do things they don’t enjoy: As above. Feels like they are living a lie by doing so. To force an empath to do something they dislike through guilt or labelling them as idle will only serve in making them unhappy. It’s for this reason many empaths get labelled as being lazy.
(SEE I’M NOT BEING LAZY.)
18. Strives for the truth: This becomes more prevalent when an empath discovers his/her gifts and birthright. Anything untruthful feels plain wrong.
(Kinda explains why I have this immense need to know the truth about everything so much.)
19. Always looking for the answers and knowledge: To have unanswered questions can be frustrating for an empath and they will endeavour to find an explanation. If they have a knowing about something they will look for confirmation. The downside to this is an information overload.
(I look them up in Google all the time. Does that count?)
20. Likes adventure, freedom and travel: Empaths are free spirits.
(YES WE ARE)
21. Abhors clutter: It makes an empath feel weighed down and blocks the flow of energy.
(Now not only am I an embarrassment to Virgos, but I’m an embarrassment to empaths as well?? )
22. Loves to daydream: An empath can stare into space for hours, in a world of their own and blissfully happy.
(Again, teachers, are you seeing this?)
23. Finds routine, rules or control, imprisoning: Anything that takes away their freedom is debilitating to an empath even poisoning.
24. Prone to carry weight without necessarily overeating: The excess weight is a form of protection to stop the negative incoming energies having as much impact.
(NOW I KNOW I’M NOT FAT; I just have a lot of Negative Energy Cushions. xD )
25. Excellent listener: An empath won’t talk about themselves much unless it’s to someone they really trust. They love to learn and know about others and genuinely care.
(Just had someone tell me that I was a shoulder to cry on recently. =) )
26. Intolerance to narcissism: Although kind and often very tolerant of others, empaths do not like to be around overly egotistical people, who put themselves first and refuse to consider another’s feelings or points of view other than their own.
(I’ve always had a low tolerance for bullshit and now I know why. ;p )
27. The ability to feel the days of the week: An empath will get the ‘Friday Feeling’ if they work Fridays or not. They pick up on how the collective are feeling. The first couple of days of a long, bank holiday weekend (Easter for example) can feel, to them, like the world is smiling, calm and relaxed. Sunday evenings, Mondays and Tuesdays, of a working week, have a very heavy feeling.
(I don’t know about this…)
28. Will not choose to buy antiques, vintage or second-hand: Anything that’s been pre-owned carries the energy of the previous owner. An empath will even prefer to have a brand new car or house (if they are in the financial situation to do so) with no residual energy.
(That, or we may have just watched/heard of too many horror stories tied to antiques.)
29. Sense the energy of food: Many empaths don’t like to eat meat or poultry because they can feel the vibrations of the animal (especially if the animal suffered), even if they like the taste.
(I don’t, BUT THANKS FOR THE GUILT TRIP. T_T >< )
30. Can appear moody, shy, aloof, disconnected: Depending on how an empath is feeling will depend on what face they show to the world. They can be prone to mood swings and if they’ve taken on too much negative will appear quiet and unsociable, even miserable. An empath detests having to pretend to be happy when they’re sad, this only adds to their load (makes working in the service industry, when it’s service with a smile, very challenging) and can make them feel like scuttling under a stone.
(Yup. Can’t say that enough.)