I haven’t written a post like this in a good long while, but I figured that I’d start again as a way of ‘officiating’ (yet another) new subdomain. Yes, I can hear you groan. But trust me, I don’t like having to change everything (feeds, broken links, pages etc) all over again any more than you guys do.

And I really hope that this would be the last time, ever, that I have to.


Day 1: Saturday, 10 Oct

  •  Took the 2.30pm bus to KL. Bus only left at almost 3pm (‘Malaysian time’, as usual). Arrived around 6pm, and we were worried that we might not be able to make our flight at 8.40. We took a taxi to KL Sentral, and then took the express train to KLIA2 (which took 33mins).
  • I hadn’t been to KLIA2 since it opened (then again I rarely fly, so…), but I had no time to marvel in it as we were in a hurry. Long story short, we managed to operate Air Asia’s self check-in machine, printed out our flight tickets, and went through customs and check and everything.
    Oh, and my wee shampoo bottle and body wash got confiscated because it was over the appropriate weight. It wasn’t even that big hmph. 
  • After that we had about an hour to spare, so Stewart went to the Lounge to get a few beers. May I remind you that I hadn’t been to any airport’s lounge ever, so let’s just say I got a bit excited when I found out that all the pastries, instant noodles, salads, coffees/teas, and cookies were all free. Of course, you had to pay a fee to get in the lounge, but I thought Lounges were ‘first class’ things where you paid to get in, and then you had to pay for whatever food/drinks you ordered as well; which why I had originally thought that the guys had been rich madafakas.
    Next thing I know, it was the final call for our plane’s boarding. And I had just took an instant noodle as well. Poured the hot water, had to wait 3 mins. As I put the cup down, I notice it was the last call. So much for having instant noodles. Wasted. Oh well. ==
  • We arrived Phuket at about almost 10pm, Malaysian time. I also never knew that Thailand’s GMT was an hour before Malaysia. At customs, I went through this stern looking Thai fella (dude I know you’re tired, but to be fair we had a long day too =p ). He never smiled, but then after he was done stamping my passport, I smiled at him and thanked him in Thai (ขอบคุณ – kòp kun ka). Then he did the unbelievable. He smiled, and replied back with what I guessed was a ‘welcome’. I felt good. I cracked a smile from that bugger!
  • Then we took a taxi to our hotel (Kalima Resort & Spa), but it was dark and we were tired, so I don’t think we paid much attention. However, it was hard to ignore the taxi driver’s driving skills, when the entire 45mins from the airport to the hotel was filled with short sprints and jerks from braking. What I did notice with clarity, despite the darkness though, was that Thai people had big cars. There were no such Kancil or MyVi-looking little cars. They either had motorbikes, or big cars like Toyotas and Hondas. There were no in-betweens. =O Also, the taxi smelled of bananas. I kid you not. 
  • When we reached the hotel, we were greeted with a welcome tea at the lobby during check-in. The tea was cold and really welcoming in the humid weather. (Yes, I live in Malaysia but I swear my sweat glands are imported from some cold European country; I’ve lived here all my life and yet I sweat way more than my boyfriend does. =l ) Then a bellboy helped take our bags to our room, and it was the first time (that I’m aware of, that is) in which it was customary to tip the bellboy. Good thing Stewart was, I presumed, used to it,and took his wallet for some tips. Otherwise, it would’ve been awkward, because after showing us the room, he bowed and said probably something like ‘enjoy your stay’, and then he just stood there. Imagine if, like in Malaysia, we weren’t usually accustomed to tipping bellboys. We’d probably be wondering why he was still standing there. =p No wonder; I had just been thinking about how the bellboy had been exceptionally welcoming and helpful. I thought it was just because Kalima had been a rather grand hotel (probably that too); rupanya because he would be tipped. lol
  • The room looked very nice. One of the nicest hotels I’ve been to, I daresay.(yes, please excuse the mess.)
  • After a good shower and showing my mum around the room (as she has a fascination with hotel rooms/bathrooms/showers), Stewart suggested going out to explore, and at the same time, get something to eat. I won’t lie; food + me =  ♥.  He asked the taxi driver if there’s a bar nearby, and the taxi river asked, “You want loud crazy bars or calm quiet bar?”
    Guess which one he chose? Yup, the crazy.
    So the taxi took us to Bangla Road, where he reminded us a few times to be careful of pickpockets and Ladyboys who pretend to come up to you and then snag your wallet. Bangla Road was indeed crazy. Ladyboys everywhere, and people were literally shoving their menus in front of you and asking you to come. Literally. They would come up right in front of you so you’d have to at least stall for a while. Of course, some bars offered ‘entertainment’ as well, if you get my drift. We didn’t walk around for very long because it was late, but we did manage to have some crepe pancakes. I would also learn in the duration of our stay that they (the crepe pancake stalls) were literally everywhere.


Day 2: Sunday, 11 Oct

  • Stewart had asked me to wake him up at 9am to go for breakfast. And honestly, that’s what I always look forward to when staying in a hotel: their buffet breakfast. :-D
    Woke him up which took a while, so I asked if he still wanted to go or breakfast. He said yes, that he wanted to make the most of our trip there and not spend it by lazing around. He could be lazy when we got back.
    So we went to the restaurant and my grin was immediate the moment I saw that they had bacon.  I DON’T GET ENOUGH BACON IN KUANTAN OKAY AND THESE BACONS ARE FREE!  Needless to say I had bacon every morning that we were there. That, and the grilled tomatoes.When we got back to the room, both of us were stuffed, we ate SO MUCH. We had to visit the toilet after. xD
  • After having a shower and resting for a bit, we pored over the Tiger Kingdom flyer that we got from the airport last night. The tigers were divided into: Cub, Smallest, Small, and Big. We decided to take the package, so we could see each of the tigers (except the cub). When he asked me which I wanted, I told him that even going to any one would’ve made me happy.
    We saw the tigers in order of smallest to largest, and I really wanted to sneak one home. The only thing was that the bigger tigers had been a bit snoozy when we were there. No complaints though, as I got to hug the big one and play with the small ones! :-D
  • At the souvenir shop, I bought myself a skirt and shirt. Cost 500-ish baht. Not complaining as I had expected it to cost around 700 baht. The whole place smelled of Tiger Balm too (the irony), and though it wasn’t the usual Tiger Balm you found in stores here in Malaysia (it had like, little wee stone thingies), I found myself quite attracted to the smell. It seemed… calming.
  • After Tiger Kingdom, we went back to Bangla street to walk around. It wasn’t as crazy as nighttime (in fact it was pretty decent). We walked around and had some drinks. Then because it was so hot, we decided to go back to the hotel and swim in the pool.
  • That night, we went out for seafood. We asked the taxi driver where the best seafood in Patong was, and he brought us to Linda Seafood. I tried the Massaman curry and it was actually really good, albeit being quite spicy. There were A LOT of potatoes and onions, and while I love both, I wish they had balanced it out with more meat. (Mmm I’m craving some now == )
  • After that, we went walking around Patong. It became a ‘habit’, in the sense that every day after that, we woke up for breakfast at 9-9.30am, rest for a while after and had a shower, then went out visiting, come home in the evening to shower, go out to have dinner, and then have a wee wonder about. It was also then that I noticed my little ‘crocodile mouth’; my shoes were coming apart at the soles. Either way they were only about 2 inches off the soles, so I guessed that I could still use it for a day or two.


Day 3: Tuesday12 Oct

  • Stewart had wanted to go see and feed the elephants, so we had done a little research on the possible places to go after breakfast. Apparently there was one near our hotel, so we went to that one first.
    Truth be told, it was disappointing and sad. The elephants looked sad, and it smelled heavily of… dirty elephants. The animals were chained, and the handlers carried those sticks with the nails at the end. I wasn’t happy, and I found out later that neither was Stewart too.
    We suggested going to another place, quite further along. When we arrived, we realised 2 things: one, that it was in the middle of a road, and two, that it was deserted. I mean that literally. There was no one there, and hardly an animal (hard to miss), if you don’t count the common birds. Finally, we gave up on that.
  • We ended up just asking the taxi driver to drop us off at Patong, and we’d go from there. So that’s how we spent the rest of our day.
    Yes, nothing much to see here. (this part of the post, I mean)



Day 4: Tuesday13 Oct

  • Today, we would try going to the other elephant sanctuary, visit the snake show, and go to the beach. We spent the entire morning finding for that other elephant sanctuary, as it was a ways away from Patong. When we were just about to abort that plan and just head for the beach instead, the taxi driver finally found it.Cheeky wee bugger that baby elephant was, too.
  • After that, we headed for the Snake show. I love snakes, so I had been pretty excited to get up close and personal with some pretty adorable ones (at least I think so! =p ) If I had been honest with myself, I was kinda hoping they’d have huge ones too. And get up close I did!
    Turns out the snake wranglers were pretty mischievous as well. They had a thing for throwing rubber snakes at unsuspecting ‘victims’, especially if they happen to be engrossed in another wrangler’s explanation. I was quite sure they enjoyed scaring the bejeesus outta people. lolAt the entrance, we were required (for lack of better word) to take photo with this gorgeous Boa snake.“Help meeeee. *sadface* ” xD They were dramatic and hilarious with their shows too. xD If there was one thing I learnt from the show, it was that
    1) If you find yourself face-to-face with a deadly snake, DON’T MOVE. If you don’t move or make any sudden movements, the snake is very unlikely to attack.
    and 2), the snake can’t hear, so while keeping still, feel free to holler as loud as you can/want for help.
    We were also told how long it would take or someone to die if bitten by the different snakes. Still, the wranglers kept assuring us.[bctt tweet=” This snake very dangerous! Bite, within 30 minutes can die! But don’t worry, hospital nearby..” ] lol
  • Next up was the beach. We asked our taxi driver where the best beach was for snorkelling, and ended up at Rawai beach. It was touristy and not much different from our local beach, so we didn’t snorkel at all; just waddled in the water. The sky was pretty dark then, but we figured we were gonna get wet anyways, so meh.
    And rain it did. It didn’t bother us though’ in fact, personally for me, it came as an advantage to help rinse the excessive sand from sticking to my legs due to it being wet.
    After we decided to finally come out of the water, it was slightly after 5, and we decided to go and have a snack. I had that chicken in coconut milk soup thingy (can’t remember the name of that dish for the life of me), and Stewart had a burger, complete with fries. As a snack. lol
    Needless to say, we went back to the hotel to freshen up later than we usually do. Stewart felt like eating at the place near Linda seafood, because they offered cheaper for their lobster than at Linda (we didn’t have lobster there the previous night). The lobster was GOOD, I’ll admit.


Day 5: Wednesday14 Oct

  • Today would be our last day in Phuket. *sadface*. We had the Trick Eye Museum planned, but beyond that, we just decided to go with the flow. Turns out the museum was more amusing than I expected too! Even Stewart, whom I could tell hadn’t been a 100% interested in the beginning but either agreed out of having something to do, admitted that it was really nice. I’ve seen some of my friends post pictures on their facebook of them and similar Trick-Eye places, and it felt good to finally be able to do it myself. =p

    Props to me for being creative with my hair hehe.   Anyway, there were a truckload more pics on my facebook that I’m too lazy to include here.
  • Next, we went to the Upside Down house. It wasn’t as interesting as I expected, but we did manage to ‘act’ in this sort of travel video postcard. I won’t post it here because I looked awkward as shit. 
    I will, though, grace you with one picture from the Upside Down House.


Day 5: Thursay15 Oct

  • Today is finally the day we were going to check out from our gorgeous hotel in Patong, Phuket, and fly back to Malaysia. I was sad to check out; it felt like I had just gotten used to the hotel there and living life the way we did. But all good things must come to an end, so after breakfast (which I tried eating more of, as if to savour everything there before we left), we packed our stuff, and I took in our hotel room one last time before leaving.
    We checked out, and Stewart decided to go for a swim but I didn’t. (You guys have it so easy, you have no idea… Just put on a pair of bermuda shorts and you’re good to go, and you don’t even have to worry about your hair getting all knotty from chlorine because it’s so short hmph. :-| )
  • When we had to, we left, and our taxi was already waiting for us to send us off to the airport. The journey took shorter than we expected, so we checked in and went to the lounge.
    When we finally reached KLIA2, I felt relieved to finally be in a country where I understood the language again. Stewart pointed out that it was not really much different for him, poor lad. LOL.
  • We had planned to take a bus back to Kuantan from KL, but because of this rude Malay fella from the SP Bumi booth at TDS, we had to take a taxi back to Kuantan that totaled up to RM700. CRAZY! :evil:
    We arrived at about 2am, and Stewart had to be at work in a few hours, otherwise we would have probably spent a night in KL or something.

All in all, our hotel and the view made Phuket a paradise of sorts with us. I tried to include videos in this post, but Photobucket was being a pain in the ass and for some reason couldn’t load the videos I uploaded.

On the other hand… hey hey, it took me almost a month to finish writing this up because I had been lazy and busy. Heh. =p

Facebook Comments
How do you feel about this post?
Share your vote!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked * 

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.